viewmail-info

Re: [VM] uninterned symbols

From: Julian Bradfield
Subject: Re: [VM] uninterned symbols
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 21:11:30 +0000

I wrote
>No, I mean, for example, the reverse link in the message list, where
>instead of the reverse link being an entry in the message struct, the
>message struct has an entry whose value is (make-symbol "<--"), and
>then the actual reverse link is stored on that symbol.

Actually, I now see the source says:
    ;; We use an uninterned symbol here as a level of indirection
    ;; from a purely self-referential structure.  This is
    ;; necessary so that Emacs debugger can be used on this
    ;; program.

but I don't understand this anyway!
I don't see any obvious problems with debugging looped data structures
in XEmacs.