viewmail-info

Re: [VM] uninterned symbols

From: Julian Bradfield
Subject: Re: [VM] uninterned symbols
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 20:26:04 +0000

>Julian Bradfield writes:
>> Can somebody tell me why VM makes all this use of uninterned symbols
>> to store bits of data?
>Do you mean the symbols interned in obarrays?

No, I mean, for example, the reverse link in the message list, where
instead of the reverse link being an entry in the message struct, the
message struct has an entry whose value is (make-symbol "<--"), and
then the actual reverse link is stored on that symbol.

>Are you running into some trouble with these symbols?

No; I'm just curious, because I don't see what the point is.