viewmail-info

[VM] Handling HTML mail

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: [VM] Handling HTML mail
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 18:08:47 +0100

I wonder what the state of the art in reading HTML messages with VM is.

My current setup use w3m to convert HTML to plain text:

   (setq vm-mime-text/html-handler 'w3m)

This produces very readable text, better than in some GUI-based mail
readers with poor HTML rendering engines. The only feature that I miss
is clickable links directly in the message. I receive many HTML
e-mails that are just link collections. For now I have to pass them to
an external viewer in order to use the links. Since Emacs can handle
clickable links in text buffers, I wonder if there is a way to get
this in VM.

Konrad.