viewmail-info

Re: [VM] messages with invalid UIDs

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] messages with invalid UIDs
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 17:07:02 +0000

Uday Reddy writes:

> Once they are labelled "stale", they won't get expunged.  If you want to
> expunge them, you will need to delete them manually and expunge them.  But,
> as I said, if the stale copies are all that you have, then your folder is an
> "inconsistent" state.  The best way to fix it is to get rid of the
> imap-cache folder and let VM regnerate a new cache folder.

It occurred to me that there is another, slightly less painful way, of
getting your cache folder back into shape.

Visit the IMAP folder normally and run M-x vm-prune-imap-retrieved-list.  It
will ask for the IMAP folder name in the account:mailbox format.  (You might
think VM should already know that, but this command is a general clean-up
operation which doesn't know much about what you are doing.)

When it is done, it would have gotten rid of the information VM has kept in
your folder about what messages it thinks it has already received from.
Next time you do vm-get-new-mail, you should get new copies of those
messages.  If you have fresh copies of all the "stale" messages, then you
are safe to expunge the stale messages.

Cheers,
Uday