unity-src

[Unity-irc3] My 2 cents

From: C.W.L. Hoogenboezem
Subject: [Unity-irc3] My 2 cents
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:11:38 +0100

Hay,

I have a couple of suggestions that may be useful for the project.

Exception masks for bans
_________________________________

Until now, most bans have been enforced with a specific target or specific targets ("address@hidden", or "address@hidden"). Now imagine a lamer (or lamers) which is/are able to use a class c subnet minus one, thus able to use 253 different ip's. What if -one- cool guy who you -really- need in your channel is in that subnet? There was no way to let him in, unless you specifically ban 193.114.10.1, 193.114.10.2, and so on, excluding the cool guy's ip. Most servers prohibit such excessive usage of banrecords, so this probably wouldn't be a useful option.

My idea about this is that we could implement some form of banexception, or even set a list of allowed users in the channel. I think we should work with two different tables then, one for the bans, and one for the exceptions. We might even work with regular expressions, but I don't think that's going to work out. Small overview:

+     Channel #quack @ Quackweb (the channel and network)

|_    Ban:     address@hidden (we don't want no help lamerz)
|_    !Ban:    aegis!address@hidden (we do want aegis. ..... .. .. .. .  .............. *slap_self*)

That would force all of the help.quakenet.org people to stay out, and allow aegis!address@hidden to enter without any hassle. I think this would be a good addition in comparison to irc2.

Channelbans
_________________________________

The bans won't be very different in irc3, if you ask me. Regular nickname!address@hidden bans should be implemented. I don't know if the "?" character is valid in a banmask in irc2, if not, we could implement that into irc3... "address@hidden".

Blacklistcommitee's
_________________________________

This would probably be a good idea, yeah. Almost every network consisting of 5 servers or more have commitee's for nearly everything. Trustcommitee's, webdevelopmentcommitee's, securitycommitee's, seXorcommitee's, it's all in the game nowadays. We should have some blacklist commitee that is able to do the following:

- Enforce serverbans to either specific sauth-servers or just prevent it from connecting to any server in the whole wide network

This is the only thing I could come up with, really. Placing superglobal, networkwide bans on users may result in massive argues and fights. This would aswell make the server admin's feel a bit downgraded, since there's someone they might not even know just banning people from his server. I think the enforcing of networkwide bans should be scrapped totally. I trust serveradmins to decide for themselves whether they want a user or not; thus leaving the decision at the serveradmin's side -- not some kind of higher authority. I think I share this point of view with Pingu.

ASN/BGP bans
_________________________________

Why not implement something like an ASN number global ban? Imagine a lamer having 500 usable ip's, all with different hostmasks. However, they are all belonging to the same ISP. Glining all his ip's/hostmasks would be a terrible job -- glining his ISP's ASN number would be pretty easy. Think about this thoroughly! Note that this would require some extra datatraffic... upon every connection attempt made, the hostmask/ip should be looked up in an ASN database.

Some other things

Well I guess these are my two cents for the moment... I really think we should put down down-to-earth summaries (or even RFC-like documents) to make some progress. We are going too indepth on certain things which could be done in a way later stage. I think we should focus on the core aspects of IRC first, like routing and such. Now my wishlist:

- Jast: would it be possible to archive the messages being posted in the irc3-* lists? Preferrably web-based, for later reference.
- *: Is uuuppzz now officially part of the irc3 project team?
- *: Is raphidae now officially part of the irc3 project team?

My own personal tasklist is to get into the creation of RFC papers. Since I'm a bad coder, it would be a good thing to make texta, I figured :p
I aswell am going to focus on making -summaries- of the discussions we've had on both mailinglists and irc, just to get things straight and clear. I made a subdomain (http://irc3.digitalcraze.nl) on which I will post these summaries. Please do comment/criticise these documents, I don't want to put up wrong stuff/not yet decided stuff!

Regards,

Chris Hoogenboezem
CSG OH - www.oudehoven.nl