trans-coord-devel

Releasing as a GNU package

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Releasing as a GNU package
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 14:20:42 +0300

As you may know from trans-coord-discuss, RMS insists GNUN to become a
GNU package.

As I see it, it would be (probably slightly) useful for translators to
install it in the usual way -- i.e. to have the varius scripts in
$(prefix)/bin and the (two?) manuals in $(infodir).

There are some things to think about, in no particular order:

* How to continue the development?  I think we should keep our current
  testbed.

* I made some initial `autoconfiscation' just for testing purposes.
  It all blows up becouse GNU make of course first reads GNUmakefile.
  We could add some extra checks in that file to include Makefile if
  present and warn the user to run ./configure if not present.  The
  `all' target must be guarded somehow as well.

* `make-prototype', `mailfail', etc. seem rather generic names to me,
  so installing them in $PATH might lead to a name collisions,
  although that's probably unlikely.
  Perhaps we should prefix them with `g' or `gnun'.

* We have to ship the DTDs in the tarball, and do some configure check
  if they are present on the system, and if not to install them.
  Obviously, the `validate-html' has to be derived from
  f.i. `validate-html.in' with the location of the DTDs adjusted at
  configure time.

* The name of the tarball/package -- `gnun' or `gnunited-nations'?

* We must develop a testsuite to check for various regressions,
  etc. but this can wait.  Configuring the package should check for
  po4a and various other things, but it should not fail if missing --
  the user might want to install only the documentation or use the
  validation tools.

* Perhaps the `po-wrap' function should be put in a gnun.el file and
  have the build system byte-compile and install it if Emacsen are
  found.

* Since I can simply install GNUN so packaged at fencepost, the only
  file needed to be in `www' is gnun.mk.  We have to make sure that
  the these changes don't break up the test cronjob, since apparently
  they will reside in trans-coord's repository.

Thoughts?  Opinions?  Ideas?