tramp-devel

Re: No longer accessible host paths

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: No longer accessible host paths
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 11:12:12 +0100

JD Smith <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

> FYI, this was implemented in bug=38231.  So eventually the following
> will “fix” ido’s issues with rename-* directory reading, by disabling
> it:
>
>       (add-to-list 'ido-read-file-name-non-ido 'tramp-rename-files)
>       (add-to-list 'ido-read-file-name-non-ido
>     'tramp-rename-these-files)

Applied. But this isn't sufficient for older Emacsen, right? So I have
switched to `completing-read-default' and `read-file-name-default',
avoiding at least the problems with ido.

I've added also some code for ivy, but I cannot test (see below).

> Of course it would be nice to work better with ido/etc. without
> disabling them, but this command is rare enough that this should
> suffice.  Would be worth testing with Ivy/Helm/icomplete/fido/etc. to
> make sure it works as expected.

I've shortly tested with ido, icomplete and fido. Seems to work proper.

My tests with Ivy and Helm stopped already at the beginning, because it
was not obvious for me how to work with them at all. Checking
documentation might help, but I'm not interested in these packages. And
there are even more of them (Counsel, Swiper?, Company?, ...).

Since all of them are not part of core Emacs or GNU ELPA, I believe it
is the author of the package to check for problems first. I'm ready to
help, of course.

If there are no further problems, I'll merge this with Emacs master next
days.

> JD

Best regards, Michael.