tramp-devel

Re: No longer accessible host paths

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: No longer accessible host paths
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 08:44:27 +0100

yary <address@hidden> writes:

Hi yari,

> I often have similar scenario of editing via TRAMP and then switching
> networks, without those issues. I don't use ido, and I do have
> auto-save to local /tmp for all my tramp buffers, setting "Auto Save
> File Name Transforms" regexp - see
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/tramp/Auto_002dsave-and-Backup.html

Yes, that works. But the case in question here is a different
one. Assume, you have a host (the same host) reachable under different
names and IP addresses, depending in which network you are located. At
work, you are in the company network. At home, you access via VPN.

You want to continue your work on the same file, whereever you
are. After you gave moved your laptop to the other network, you must
tell Tramp the new name of the remote machine. Existing buffers shall be
preserved, and updated accordingly.

Best regards, Michael.