tramp-devel

No longer accessible host paths

From: JD Smith
Subject: No longer accessible host paths
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 11:43:23 -0400

Tramp (2.3.5.26.2) commonly hangs my Emacs session in the following scenario:

  • On an internal network at my work, I visit a file via:
    • /ssh:someinternalpath.foo.bar:file
  • I continue to edit the file after leaving the internal network.
  • Later, on another network (at home, etc.) Tramp can no longer access the file via someinternalpath.foo.bar.  File operations, write attempts, etc. hang as Tramp tries in vain to reach the host via a no longer reachable hostname/path.
  • The various `tramp-cleanup-*` commands do nothing for this problem, since they assume the host is still reachable via the original hostname, and merely reset the cached information.
  • I can at this point kill the buffer (or Emacs, if hung), and visit the file using
    • /ssh:hopserver.bar.baz|ssh:someinternalpath.foo.bar:file
  • but there is no way to save or write the changes in my local buffer.  So this often hangs Emacs and loses the changes.

Is there some what to effect a `tramp-reset-host` so that a buffer will be marked as no longer visiting any file, and will re-prompt you for a filename so you can write your changes?  Or perhaps a `tramp-change-hostpath` so you can re-enter the (possibly multi-hop) host path to the file?

If not, this would be a great feature for those who work with networks that have different hostpaths from inside and outside the network. It would also be ideal if an unreachable host timed out and gave you the option to reset or re-enter the host path as well.

Thanks for Tramp.  I use it daily (and usually love it!).