tramp-devel

Tramp to Android over Wi-Fi

From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
Subject: Tramp to Android over Wi-Fi
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 07:23:14 +0800

I found I could use
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.xender
to achieve:

Without any Internet, and just my cellphone and laptop,
I was able to browse the contents of my cellphone on the laptop at
$BROWSER http://192.168.43.1:33455/web/index.html .

So then I thought wouldn't it be great if instead of $BROWSER I could
simply use TRAMP?

Sure, I could use
emacsclient -n /adb::
however constant plugging in and out of the USB socket will lead to its
demise and (thus the demise of the entire cellphone: no way to charge
it.)

Sure, set up an ad-hoc wifi on the laptop... but Android does not
connect to Ad-hoc wifi (well known truth.)

So it would have to be the xender method: create a hotspot on Android
which the laptop can find the SSID of and connect to.

Anyway in the manual, "4.8 Using Android" could mention it is possible,
and (info "(tramp) Android shell setup") detail how.

Perhaps use xender to create the connection, then run some second app on
the (non rooted) Android to allow TRAMP to talk to the shell...

Anyway: one (non rooted) Android, one laptop with Wi-Fi, no Internet:
how to connect TRAMP? (Yes there is bluetooth, but let's solve wifi first.)