top10-devel

Re: [Top10-devel] kart simulator

From: johann . deneux
Subject: Re: [Top10-devel] kart simulator
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:12:15 +0200

Lars Segerlund wrote:
 Interesting, I'll be watching also !

 / regards, Lars Segerlund.

Bruno and I have been exchanging mails in french. I will put back the old code that allowed to load a track from a lightwave model, and extend it to load 3ds models. The advantage of such models is that you can model tracks more faithfully. The current scheme consists in specifying only straight sections of the track. Turns are computed to join them. The point of using this kind of description is that it makes some tasks easier. For instance, it's easy to express the position of a kart relatively to the circuit (how far it is + lateral position). This should make the implementation of an AI easier. It's more meaningful to know you are 60m from next turn, 2m from the left side of the track, than to know that you are located in X=123 and Z=-45. Moreover, it can be used to put back a kart in the center of the track after an accident, for instance (right now, my karts have an annoying tendancy to tip over quite easily). That's also easier to do if you know that you are 300m far from the starting line.

The solution is probably to use a combination of both. There should be a way to compute a "path" from a track made of polygons. At least in a semi-automatic way.

--
Johann