tlf-devel

Re: What is the tlf future?

From: Alan Dove
Subject: Re: What is the tlf future?
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 11:01:30 -0400

Hey, folks:

The biggest barrier I see to wider Linux use in the ham shack is that
the two most important pieces of software for hams, a general logger
and a contest logger, are only available in single-platform versions
that haven't drawn very large developer communities. Essentially,
there's CQRLog for general logging, and about 1.5 usable contest
loggers that all run in console windows.

None of these applications are available on Windows or Mac, so right
away the pool of potential developers is only that tiny sliver of the
Venn diagram where ham radio operators, qualified software developers,
and Linux aficionados overlap. For CQRLog, the developer pool gets even
smaller because it's in Pascal. And don't @ me with "Pascal is elegant"
and so forth; I'm just referring to the objective fact that it's far
less popular than, say, C++, and therefore has fewer programmers
available to work on it.

Since these applications are all Free, the developers who do work on
them generally have day jobs and other commitments. So we have a tiny
pool of people who are even qualified to work on these programs, and
they're all working part-time. Of course progress is slow.

Until someone develops a cross-platform logger using a popular
framework, and manages to attract a critical mass of developers to it,
this won't change. Consider Fldigi, which runs perfectly on Linux and
gets maniacally frequent updates. That's all because it's drawn a large
group of developers and users, the overwhelming majority of whom are
using Windows in the shack.

--
          --Alan (AB1XW)

--