tlf-devel

Re: pywinkeyerdaemon

From: Drew Arnett
Subject: Re: pywinkeyerdaemon
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 03:51:51 +0000

I removed the echo test, too.  There is an option in K3NG keyer,
OPTION_WINKEY_STRICT_HOST_OPEN that tripped up the echo test I had in
the wrong part of the sequence.  Arguably, K3NG with that option
behaves the way I would expect based on the K1EL documentation.  The
winkeyer I have (which returns version code 30) apparently isn't
strict.

I dug out my old homebrew K3NG keyer shield and programmed an Arduino.
Yes, I was able to reproduce the problem Joop reported.  Looks like
K3NG flushes the buffer on a 'cancel buffered speed change' command.
I need to read K3NG source to understand the details of why it is
implemented this way.  winkeyer doesn't.  Which is correct?  Who am I
to say?  Understanding the root cause, now, I can modify the
pywinkeyerdaemon source to workaround this K3NG keyer bug.  Better to
do that or to write a patch for K3NG or both?  Workaround involves
using the 'buffered speed command' indefinitely.  I had thought that
would be appropriate to use for just a single message.  Maybe not.
Hmm.

Best regards,

Drew
n7da