tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] Fw: Entry issues & key issues

From: Thomas Beierlein
Subject: [Tlf-devel] Fw: Entry issues & key issues
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 10:27:37 +0200

Sorry, forgot to forward my answer to the list.

73, Tom

Beginn der weitergeleiteten Nachricht:

Datum: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 10:24:46 +0200
Von: Thomas Beierlein <address@hidden>
An: Adam Clark <address@hidden>
Betreff: Re: [Tlf-devel] Entry issues & key issues

Hi Adam,

Am Tue, 02 Jul 2019 15:42:41 -0700
schrieb Adam Clark <address@hidden>:

> However, I hope that the tab vs. enter bit is treated like an issue
> that requires resolution.  I don't believe it shouldn't matter how
> one gets to the exchange field - if I've put in an exchange and hit
> enter, I want to log the QSO, and it shouldn't matter how I wound up
> getting to the exchange field in the first place.  Can you imagine if
> a GUI treated you differently depending on whether you clicked on a
> text entry field vs tabbed in to it vs. hit enter to get to it, and
> then refused to enter the data (or cleared it out) when you went to
> click OK?  heh.

I can understand your reasoning, but I fear it is not as simple as you
think. Let me explain.

TLF is not just a program which allows you to record the QSO data after
you inserted the information into the call input and exchange fields.
TLF is an state machine which guides you through the contest QSO and
records the result afterwards.

Lets take an CW QSO (as running station) as an example:

- Which an empty call input field you press Enter and TLf sends a CQ
- After you got a call and inserts the call sign Enter starts sending
  the exchange you have for the other station. (Press it again and it
  will resend it)
- After you received his exchange an put it into the comment field
  Enter send the closing message (and a new CQ) and logs the QSO.

Similar behavior is implemented for working in S&P or using digi mode
or ssb.

So we have the Enter key to proceed to the next QSO state and only
after you finished the QSO it will log the record.

You may question: Why not doing the same with the TAB key? That is
because we have two different problems to solve - stepping through the
QSO and navigating between call input and comment fields to correct
errors. The first job is handled by Enter, the second by TAB.

I hope that answers your question.

73, de Tom DL1JBE

--
"Do what is needful!"