tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] Rig and key control

From: n6rob
Subject: [Tlf-devel] Rig and key control
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:35:14 +0000

Hi,

Just had a great time on the ARRL 10M contest using TLF.  I get better with
this program every time I use it - even though I am an SSB-only operator ;o)

I have been reading about using serial/parallel port for interfacing to radios
and I writing to ask for some clarifications.

My set-up is fairly conventional; one radio (TS-570D, with RS-232 serial port),
and one desktop computer with Kubuntu+TLF+hamlib+cwdaemon.  Currently hamlib
and my radio are happy together; I can control the radio just like the
instructions say.  I am using the voice-keyer with the VOX function on my
radio.  This has the usual problems with various beeps, and noises being
transmitted unintentionally from the computer to the radio and over the air
(though this happens rarely).

I am considering a more elaborate rig interface and I would like to add direct
PTT and CW control from TLF to the radio, and maybe a footswitch (perhaps I can
help you test 0.9.4, Joop).  However, I am using my one and only serial port
for hamlib/rig control.  I could add a PCI card with more ttySx ports or the
external box that ZL2BSJ reported about on this list (nice, but expensive).
Otherwise I can just use the lp0 since I don't use it for other purposes.

If I understand the notes in cwdaemon correctly it will default to use
/dev/lp0.  I believe the cwdaemon is working because the sidetone & voice keyer
work just fine.  If I want to change the port for cwdaemon from lp0 to
something else, where can I do this?  If cwdaemon defaults to lp0, the I should
be able to see activity on the relevant pin using a oscilloscope or voltmeter
when TLF is sending - yes?

In summary, hamlib and rig control use ttyS0 (set in the logcfg.dat file) and
cwdaemon will use lp0 as default - do I have this correct?  I realize these can
be configured to use other ports and I have read about those set-ups on this
list; but I am just trying to make sure I understand this set-up properly.

The more I learn about this program the more I like it; thank you for such a
great contribution.  In the future I would like to contribute my experiences to
the help notes and documentation (I recall someone asking for this type of
support), but I must gain more experience with the program, first.

Rein, I enjoyed your blog on 5A7A, especially the part about getting out -
there's no place like home!

73

Rob, N6ROB