tiger-devel

[Tiger-devel] Audit scripts and new 3.2.2 release

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino
Subject: [Tiger-devel] Audit scripts and new 3.2.2 release
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 12:24:42 +0200

Hi everyone,

As you are aware of, there has not yet been a 3.3 release. I have not been able to code all the things I had in my TODO for 3.3 but have been fixing and improving (with the help of Christian Slater, and other HP staff) Tiger sufficiently that I believe a release is deserved based from the current CVS code. I will be labeling this release as 3.2.2 since it's mostly a bug fix release (although it also expands support for Tru64 and HP-UX and introduces new security checks).

One thing I'm going to introduce, and I'm looking out for testers out there, is a set of audit collection scripts based on the ones developed by Marc Heuse. These scripts do not do system analysis but, instead, just grab system information to do offline system review (currently not automated) in order to do "white box" audits. They have been very useful in some customers where I'd rather not run Tiger on production systems, and these scripts are easier to debug and run on them.

Maybe you've missed my "UNIX/Windows audit scripts" mail in pen-test a while back (see Message-ID: <address@hidden>, March 4th 2005). In any case, I will be putting up the scripts in CVS now that Marc Heuse has relicensed them to GPL, if anyone wants to help me test out these scripts I would appreciate (and will forward them a copy). Current supported systems are: AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Red Hat Linux, SuSE Linux, Debian GNU/Linux, Nokia IPSO, Slackware Linux and, even, the Oracle BBDD.

I would like to have a second set of scripts to analyse these scripts results (plain text files) and generate Tiger-like output. If anyone can volunteer to write those down please speak up! :-)

Once these scripts are in place, and have been tested, I will try to have a new release out of the door.

Best regards

Javier