therion-users

Re: [Therion] Why no rock point symbol?

From: Wookey
Subject: Re: [Therion] Why no rock point symbol?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:36:44 +0000

On 2006-12-22 09:50 +0100, Stacho Mudrak wrote:
> Quoting Wookey <address@hidden>:
> > There are point symbols for blocks and peddles and debris and roots
> > and all sorts of things but not 'a rock' which would be a really
> > well-used one if it existed...
>
> There is no problem to add one. Just to be sure - what is the
> difference between block and rock?

Erm, none, for this purpose.

In english caving terminology a 'block' is a large rock, at least 1m
in some dimension, and sometimes more than 10m. A rock is any rock
down to hand size, as well as the bedrock itself. 'Boulder' is rocks
bigger than 0.5m diameter, and tends to imply a relatively round
shape.  This probably varies a bit with regions (I tend to use 'rock'
for all rocks no matter what size or shape, adding 'huge', 'big',
'house-sized', 'dodgy' as required. I might use 'block' if it was very
square, but rarely).

> > Is there a good reason why we don't have this?
>
> There is no reason. There are still some symbols missing - for
> example, I am missing symbol for stalactites. We have a symbol for
> single stalactite, but if there are many small ones, we have no symbol
> for that also.

And I still owe you a drawing of a calcite area for designing a symbol.

Wookey
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/