texmacs-dev

Re: [Texmacs-dev] Native Commutative Diagrams

From: TeXmacs
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Native Commutative Diagrams
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 17:36:29 +0200

Hi Owen,

I agree that the TeXmacs support for commutative diagrams could be further
improved.
I see two things to be done:

  1) Improved long arrows that use the arrow heads from the current font and
     with better support for text above and below arrows.

  2) A better interface which allows TeXmacs to know between which pieces
     of text there are arrows.

It is not clear for me whether (2) should be based on tables or
on the graphics mode.  Commutative diagrams are fairly graphical in nature,
so complex diagrams are indeed very much like drawings.  But the spacing
is very rigid for simple commutative diagrams and very table-like indeed.
Maybe both possibilities should be improved, in fact.

Point (1) requires some work, but I do not see any big difficulties.
Point (2) is more subtle, and would require quite some hacking,
both on the C++ side and on the Scheme side.  Indeed, on the C++ side,
we would need markup and typesetter support for arrows between
different pieces of markup.  It would be nice if we could turn
pieces of text into "magnets" and then have a special arrow mode
for connecting such magnets.  But I fear that this is quite
some work, since it seems that this is really a new kind of mode
besides the existing text/math/prog/graphics modes.

Best wishes, --Joris