texmacs-dev

[Texmacs-dev] Native Commutative Diagrams

From: Owen Lynch
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Native Commutative Diagrams
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020 12:19:14 +0200

Hello,

I'm a semi-lapsed TeXmacs user. I love TeXmacs, but a majority of my
mathematical work uses commutative diagrams, and the friction between TeXmacs
and xypic is one of the big reasons why I head to LaTeX a lot.

The way that tikzcd/xypic does commutative diagrams is very natural; the items
are put into a grid, and then arrows are drawn between them. It seems to me
that this could be a great match for TeXmacs; all that would have to be done is
add support for arrows to a subclass of the existing "table" layout. I know
that commutative diagrams could be done with the figure drawing interface,
however it's just not convenient enough to produce commutative diagrams in
volume.

Essentially my idea is to subclass table and add a list of arrows with source
and target. Then during layout, after the layout of each of the table cells has
been calculated, each arrow would go from the boundary of its source cell to
the boundary of its target cell.

As a newbie to the TeXmacs source, I would like to ask for some guidance about
how to go about implementing this, however. Should it be done in C++, or could
it be done in pure scheme? Are there "developer docs" somewhere that I should
look at? Are there previous attempts along these lines, or similar pieces of
code which I could look to for calculating the arrow source/targets? What is
the minimal implementation of this that would get a commutative diagram on the
screen, so that I can work off of that for developing the UI? Ideally, the UI
would end up looking something like: https://tikzcd.yichuanshen.de/.

-Owen