synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] [bug #17553] [WISH] Synaptic should provide gdebi featu

From: Sebastien CELLES
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] [bug #17553] [WISH] Synaptic should provide gdebi features (clicking on a deb file from nautilus)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:10:39 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open

Details:

Hello,

I write you because I think Synaptic should provide gDebi features.
When I click on a deb file in Nautilus, Synaptic should open and provide an
interface to know what are the files in this deb file, to have a description
of the package, the author. I should also have a button for installing this
package (if it wasn't installed previously).

Moreover it should do the same with rpm files (using in the backgroud
alien).

So it will be very usefull for beginners who only need to click on a package
to install it (when the package is not in the /etc/apt/sources.list)
If the installer fails an error message should appear.

Synaptic is a very good GUI for apt, but it should also be a GUI for dpkg and
rpm (and so installing local package will be much more easy)

Regards

http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/
see gDebi
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/gdebi