synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] filter and buttons in the new user interface

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] filter and buttons in the new user interface
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:01:16 +0100

Am Mi, den 17.03.2004 schrieb Gustavo Niemeyer um 15:39:
> > I am little bit uncertain about relaying on the menu as the single
> > visible methods to perform package actions in the new user interface.
>
> There are three different ways to select a package for installation:
>
> - Menu
> - Context menu
> - Click on icon

I was talking about 'visible' methods. The question is, what does a not
very skilled user if he or she doesn't know how to make use of context
menus and doesn't see the 'package' menu? I think that we should provide
a method that is well visible at the startup of the application.

> > I would appreciate to add some action buttons above the package
> > the actions is not available or useless it should be grayed out, e.g.
> > if you press the "install" button on a not installed package the
> > button would be grayed out and the "unmark" button would be
> > 'ungrayed'/enabled.
> [...]
>
> I would appreciate if we could get over this. We already
> discussed that in the past, and even removed the toggle
> buttons because you didn't like it.

I hope that you haven't changed this, because I did not like it :)

There are good reasons against the use of toggle buttons. And I don't
want them back. I am talking about action buttons - take a look at the
given example.

> [...]
> > Another point is the filter combo box. Michael and me already discussed
> > about its use. And Michael came up with the idea to remove it and move
> > the filters to the new left browser as its own group in addition to
> > "section", "alphabet", "status" and "keyword" (tag).
>
> How do I get the installed packages in the 'Base' section?

Select "Section"|"Base" in the browser and click on the status column
header to sort the list by status.

Regards,

Sebastian