synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic-0.45pre7: some bugs

From: Sviatoslav Sviridov
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic-0.45pre7: some bugs
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:58:27 +0300

Michael Vogt wrote:

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 01:35:40AM +0300, Sviatoslav Sviridov wrote:
Hello,
Hi,

I've tested synaptic-0.45pre7 and rev.330 in svn and noticed, that there still
problem in information tab that I've described some days ago (I was not able
to check it with suggested patch earlier, sorry). we have warning message in
console about "Invalid UTF8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()" and no
information about package version, size, etc. Displayed only: package name,
short desc, status, group and priority (there are sometimes some garbage
characters after priority).
Sometimes after first package selection after starting synaptic I've seen all
info (for some packages), but after selecting other packages, and even the
first one again information was lost.

I checked in a new version with another additional utf8() call. Can
you please check if it works now? It works for me if I set my settings
to address@hidden
If it does not work for you, please send me your locales settings and
I'll see if I can reproduce it here.
I've tested yesterday evening svn release 336, it didn't work for me at all: when selecting any package in list synaptic receives signal 11 and crashes.

my locale settings:

$ locale
LANG=ru_RU.KOI8-R
LC_CTYPE="ru_RU.KOI8-R"
LC_NUMERIC="ru_RU.KOI8-R"
LC_TIME="ru_RU.KOI8-R"
LC_COLLATE="ru_RU.KOI8-R"
LC_MONETARY="ru_RU.KOI8-R"
LC_MESSAGES="ru_RU.KOI8-R"
LC_PAPER="ru_RU.KOI8-R"
LC_NAME="ru_RU.KOI8-R"
LC_ADDRESS="ru_RU.KOI8-R"
LC_TELEPHONE="ru_RU.KOI8-R"
LC_MEASUREMENT="ru_RU.KOI8-R"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="ru_RU.KOI8-R"
LC_ALL=

-- Sviatoslav Sviridov <svd at lintec dot minsk dot by>
  /* icq: 10845380; jid: svd at altlinux dot org; */

Thou shalt not put policy into the kernel.

        - Al Viro on linux-kernel