synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] (kind of) release of 0.30

From: Sviatoslav Sviridov
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] (kind of) release of 0.30
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 13:13:14 +0200

On 28 Dec 2002 15:19:10 +0100
"Michael Vogt" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>

> I have taged the current cvs version as debian_rel_0_30 and uploaded
> this version to debian/unstable. I will not announce this release on
> freshmeat until it gets a bit of testing inside debian. The gui is
> complettly reworked and it certainly has some bugs. But the real
> problem is that I can't test the rpm version myself (as I don't have
> a rpm distro to test). So I would love to get feedback from the rpm
> users if it compiles at all (or better yet if it works :).

Great! It works :) I've got some segfaults, but it works. I'll perform more
testing later, may be in next year :)

> I hope to be able to get access to a redhat 8 system in the next few
> days to do some of the testing myself. But any comments/help/patches
> for the rpm enabled version are certainly very welcome.
>
> You can get the 0.30 version from the usual place at:
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/files/?group=synaptic

And some feature requests:
- it would be nice to have one button/menu command for uncheck all "programmed
changes". the way of selecting all and pressing "keep" performs dependency
checking for every unchecked package and this takes a lot of time when many
packages to update.
- it stil doesn't handle case where pkglists are not available at synaptic
startup. It's needed to make "apt-get update", and then start synaptic
- I think it's neede to change installation process on rpm-based systems. now
it start rpm for every package. but no information about current package in
progress window. It's better to allow rpm install all packages in one command.
In this case would be nice to have progress for current package and for
overall process of installation (rpm shows this with --fancypercent option).
And it whould be good to handle configuration options in apt.config that adds
some options to rpm.
APT now can order packages for installation by itself, but it has problems, so
I have always RPM::Order=true in apt.config. I think it's better is synaptic
will process this option and give to rpm all packages to install at one
command. As for implementation, i think it's possible to use
pkgRPMPM::ExecRPM() to run rpm process and parse it's output.

Thanx for good work!
And happy new year! :)

--
Sviatoslav Sviridov