Re: [Swarm-Modelling] decision modelling

From: Darren Schreiber
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] decision modelling
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 00:08:49 -0400

I'm not aware of any work in this direction.

You should definitely describe more about what you have in mind in order to obtain more specific suggestions.

But, here is how I would approach the problem. My understanding of bankruptcy (I actually have litigated a few bankruptcy cases and even written appellate briefs, but that was too long ago for me to remember much) is that the creditors have some competing interests in the company and are vying to get the court to reorganize the company in a way that is favorable for their interests. So, I am thinking that you are trying to look at how model the competition among creditors?

Are you also looking to model the behavior and/or success of the resulting firm?

My advice on this problem (and it is relatively generic) is to stay as true to the traditional micro-models as possible (at least initially). In this case, your micro-agents will be the creditors. What does your literature say about the decision calculus of the creditors? What are its inputs and outputs? What kinds of interactions are there among creditors? How do decisions by one creditor effect the others?

While you can go ahead and create the micro-level model from scratch, I think it is tactically useful to be conservative and use existing results as much as possible. This will allow you to justify your decision more easily and to justify departures from the traditional model if necessary. It will also make it more familiar to reviewers and should make it easier to acquire data to validate the micro-level behaviors with.

You should also keep your model as simple as possible. My tendency is to brainstorm the most complex and powerful version of a model that I can. If I could make it super-flexible, what would it look like? I spend a lot of time on big concept design so that I am going to have parameterizable, flexible code that will be useful for a number of development steps.

Then, with this huge Christmas list of features, I work the other direction. What are the simplest features of the model that I could build? If I had to show some progress tomorrow, what could I do in a day or two? I write my development plan to go from zero to 0.00001 and then to go to 0.00002. In contrast to my grand vision, this isn't ambitious, but it gets me lots of little victories and helps me to make sure my code is on track all along the way. At each step, I test it and make sure I know what the code is doing and how it functions.

You will also want to think hard about why you want/need to use agent-based modeling. I think that ABM is an incredibly useful paradigm, but I would urge you to make sure that you have the right tool for the job. If I started playing opera music with a hammer, someone might be suspicious that I only know how to use a hammer and not much else. What are the traditional ways of modeling creditor decisions? What are they useful for? What are their limitations?

You will need to describe more about why and what you want to model with ABM's for insight into whether it is a good tool for the project. But, I don't think there should any technical barrier here as far as the tool is concerned.

        Darren