Re: Input on choice of programing language

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Input on choice of programing language
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 07:58:09 -0600

I want to build an artificial
market - in contrast to the SFI-ASM not with GAs but with genetic
programming - and to assess the impact of different regulations and auction
systems on the market effiency. For rigorous analysis, I will need quite
powerful statistical tools to calculate heteroskadicity, leptokurtusis etc. I
am currently pondering, what programming language I should choose.

Take a look at R. R is a Lisp-like language and has extremely powerful statistical functions. Being Lisp-like, you can create expressions dynamically and evalulate them, as is needed in GP. There is also a C interface to R features in case you need to make blocks of simulation code that run natively. In other words, you can create dynamic agent behaviors from C (or Swarm) if you need to for performance. Since most of GP is fitness evaluation (of interpreted code), it may well be the big bottleneck in the simulation, and so you might be just as well of writing the whole thing in R.