Re: Swarm Futures re-cap

From: Russell Standish
Subject: Re: Swarm Futures re-cap
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:18:04 +1000 (EST)

I think F-script was being suggested for Swarm, not Ecolab. It appears
to be a Cocoa based scripting language, ie direct manipulating Obj C
objects. In Ecolab, the TCL language manipulates C++ objects directly
using the TCL_obj functionality (strictly speaking its not a library,
but I'm not sure what to call it!).

                                                Cheers

address@hidden wrote:

> OK.  This is going *very* well.  Our reports from Roger and Gulya
> will help, too.  Right now, I'm just collecting this stuff.  I'd
> like to have enough fodder for some solid discussion by the time
> SwarmFest comes around.
>
> Also, we should have more discussion of the other implementations like
> AScape, RePast, MAS, Ecolab, StarLogo and any other tool that falls
> under "Swarm-like" modeling.  And I, personally, welcome discussion
> of things like Mathematica, Matlab, XMath, R, HDF, VenSim, ProModel,
> DADiSP, etcetcetc, as well as Linux (as a preferred platform),
> Windows, Mac OSX, etc.  Heck, I'd even like to see some discussion of
> real-time systems.  Swarm has never even approached things like
> real-time scheduling or embedded systems or mobile agents, etc.
>
> It would be cool to have a little discussions on low-leve protocols
> for agents (SAX is NOT a low-level protocol [grin] but I suppose that's
> ok, too).
>
> glen
> -----------Re-cap------------
>
> >From Darren Schreiber:
>
> 1. Teaching:
>    1.1  Install
>    1.2 High-level modeling
>        1.2.1 Agent interaction network topology tools
>        1.2.2 Creation and mgmt of agents
>        1.2.3 Input and output tools
>        1.2.4 Retain capability of puncturing the high-level when necessary
>
> 2. Research:
>    2.1 High-level modeling
>        2.1.1 All of the points listed above go here, too
>        2.1.2 Rapid prototyping
>        2.1.3 Model replication through a gui or high-level language
>        2.1.4 Drag and drop GUI
>    2.2 Model Validation/Verification Toolkit
>        2.2.1 Docking tools to perform experiments on multiple models
>    2.3 Best Practice Modeling
>        2.3.1 Modeling Patterns for Input, Output, and Topology
>

> >From Jason Alexander:
>
> 3. If we're going to break it, break everything that needs breaking.
>
> 4. Problem List
>    4.1 The reference (SDG's) implementation is hard to install.
>    4.2 The reference implementation is complicated to use and
>        inefficient for simple tasks.
>    4.3 (7.1) and (7.2) limit the propogation of Swarm.
>    4.4 It is hard to share models and extensions.
>    4.5 It is hard to graft a GUI on top of an application written for
>        the reference implementation (though this may be mitigated with
>        the Java layer or with other implementations).
>
> 5. Benefits
>    5.1 Powerful, flexible, and open-ended
>        8.1.1  Powerful tools are HARD TO USE, which brings up the
>               question of whether or not we need this much power.
>
> 6. Imperatives
>    6.1 It should be easy for people using Swarm implementations to
>        describe modeling problems in the language they find most
>        suitable.
>    6.2 Make it easy for others to install an implementation on any
>        major platform.
>    6.3 Make it possible to embed Swarm models in a web page.

> [...]

A/Prof Russell Standish                  Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967, 8308 3119 (mobile)
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         Fax   9385 6965, 0425 253119 (")
Australia                                address@hidden