Re: ABM/Toolkit futures [was: Swarm futures (was Re: GNUstep and MacOS X

From: Russell Standish
Subject: Re: ABM/Toolkit futures [was: Swarm futures (was Re: GNUstep and MacOS X Port Effort)]
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 10:28:52 +1000 (EST)

Thanks for the headsup on F-script. It's exactly the sort of thing I
was talking about with Ecolab.  It seems to be very Cocoa based
though, which rules out its use with Swarm for the present...

There are many potential scripting languages that can be used - TCL,
Perl, Python, Guile, Javascript, elisp, and as you mention,
F-script. All have their pros and cons, but none are predominant in
the marketplace. I used TCL in Ecolab, because it was the only such
scripting language readily available at the time. I would not consider
it to be the best. However, I'm unlikely to change, unless there is a
clear winner in the "scripting wars".

I was just making the point, that any new generation swarm should have
a scripting language of some kind built in. Even though Swarm uses
TCL, the TCL interface is not exported to the user, nor is any kind of
scripting interface provided :(

                                                        Cheers

address@hidden wrote:

> Am Montag, 07.10.02, um 07:30 Uhr (Europe/Zurich) schrieb Russell
> Standish:
> > Being able to code an experiment
> > as a script (runtime configuration) is also a great feature of
> > Ecolab.
>
> Have a look at F-Script once.
> Btw, things like F-Script exist for a long time now, though not always
> under the same name.
>

> Re
> Phil

>    Swarm-Modelling is for discussion of Simulation and Modelling techniques
>    esp. using Swarm.  For list administration needs (esp. [un]subscribing),
>    please send a message to <address@hidden> with "help" in the
>    body of the message.

A/Prof Russell Standish                  Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967, 8308 3119 (mobile)
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         Fax   9385 6965, 0425 253119 (")
Australia                                address@hidden