Re: mobile SWARM?

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: mobile SWARM?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 06:27:46 -0700

At 12:55 AM +0200 4/26/02, Heiko Holtschneider wrote:
>I saw SWARM listed as a Mobile Agent System in a publication
>(www.it-c.dk/~morten/mobility/skeleton.ps).
>
>I'm looking for a Mobile Agent System, however, until now I thought
>SWARM doesn't support agent migration.
>
>Could someone give me a short right/wrong answer?

Swarm does "support" mobile agents.  However, you'd have to install Swarm
on both machines (in the same way you have to install the JVM on both
machines) in order to get an agent to travel from one to the other.  Swarm
also supports more basic serialization, which could be used to transfer agents
from one place to another as long as you have the class defined on both the
sender and the receiver.  I guess this is a kind of "soft mobility".

The right answer for you is probably a question:  Do you want a mobile agent
system?  Or do you want a general purpose complex systems modeling tool
that might use mobile agents?  If it's the former, then you probably don't want
Swarm.  If it's the latter, then you might want Swarm, depending on what you
intend to do with it.

glen
--
-- glen e. p. ropella                              =><=
    Hail Eris!