Re: Rational choice theory and ABMs (was RE: Criticisms and defense of

From: Rayman Mohamed
Subject: Re: Rational choice theory and ABMs (was RE: Criticisms and defense of ABM)
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 05:22:07 -0500

You are right and I was writing too quickly and generalizing too much. Yes, I am aware of bounded rationality -- in fact my model of developer behavior was based on that. Let me stick to prices. The determination of prices through hedonic models is based on neoclassical economics -- the three axioms of rationality hold -- completeness, reflexivity, and transitivity (think I got them all here). (Another less rigorous theoretical basis is to just consider each attribute as "contributing" to the total value of some product.) There might be stochastic variations of the neoclassical basis that I am not aware of, that relax these assumptions. If so let me know.

So, I guess that I should say that in ABMs of economic agents, we cannot quite get away from neoclassical economics if our model involves prices. If there is a way to do it, I would appreciate knowing. (I can then fulfill my promises to my dissertation committee!)

R.

At 09:07 AM 3/6/2002 +0000, you wrote:

> We may dislike rational choice theory but I am afraid that it is the only
> theory that has a coherent and consistent set of assumptions by which we
> can predict prices, and it is the theoretical/behavioral basis of hedonic
> prices models (a fancy term for regressions). As I see it ABMs have to be
> combined at some level with rational choice theory.

It's not like there is a great deal of work involved in combining ABMs with rational choice theory: one simply needs to construct the ABM to include a model of the deliberative process by which agents arrive at a decision. ABMs, in many senses, are ideal for modeling the deliberative processes of boundedly rational individuals, as such individuals are typically conceived of as arriving at choices by employing inductive generalizations of past experiences or heuristics. If it fit the problem at hand, you could model agents as Bayesians, initially endowed with a somewhat random prior, who updated their prior in the light
of new experience from time to time.

In my own work, I've modelled boundedly rational agents faced with simple
distribution problems (a simple version of the Nash bargaining problem and the ultimatum game) as well as coordination games. Although I typically assume that the agents usually follow imitative learning rules (it makes the analysis afterwards easier), I've also modeled them as using fictitious play. There's no reason why more complex choice processes couldn't
be modelled.  If you can describe it, you can model it.

From my point of view, the most natural point of contact between rational choice theory and ABMs is through evolutionary game theory. Traditional models of rational choice, i.e., von Neumann-Morgenstern game theory, lack a proper treatment of the dynamic aspect of choice. Evolutionary game theory (at least the economic interpretations a la Binmore, Samuelson, and others) seeks to provide such a dynamic component, and usually assumes that agents are boundedly rational. ABMs provide a framework for a detailed study of both of
these elements.

As an aside: the problem mentioned with markets points out what, to my mind, is a more interesting problem for ABMs. Namely, how does one smoothly incorporate, into a single problem, problems involving group action with problems involving individual action. One could always force upon the model some way of having aggregative individual action lead to group action (if, say, 50%+1 of the group make an individual choice to do X, then the group does X) but, in many cases, this requires making substantive assumptions as to the causal relations holding between individuals and the group. Ideally, one would like to frame very general rules of interaction which allowed group action
to develop out of individual action.  This is a hard problem, though.

Cheers,

Jason

--
J. McKenzie Alexander
Co-ordinator, MSc in Philosophy of the Social Sciences