Rational choice theory and ABMs (was RE: Criticisms and defense of ABM)

From: Alexander,J
Subject: Rational choice theory and ABMs (was RE: Criticisms and defense of ABM)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 09:07:46 -0000

> We may dislike rational choice theory but I am afraid that it is the only
> theory that has a coherent and consistent set of assumptions by which we
> can predict prices, and it is the theoretical/behavioral basis of hedonic
> prices models (a fancy term for regressions). As I see it ABMs have to be
> combined at some level with rational choice theory.

It's not like there is a great deal of work involved in combining ABMs with
rational choice
theory: one simply needs to construct the ABM to include a model of the
deliberative
process by which agents arrive at a decision.  ABMs, in many senses, are ideal
for modeling the
deliberative processes of boundedly rational individuals, as such individuals
are typically
conceived of as arriving at choices by employing inductive generalizations of
past
experiences or heuristics.  If it fit the problem at hand, you could model
agents as Bayesians,
initially endowed with a somewhat random prior, who updated their prior in the
light
of new experience from time to time.

In my own work, I've modelled boundedly rational agents faced with simple
distribution problems (a simple version of the Nash bargaining problem and the
ultimatum
game) as well as coordination games.  Although I typically assume that the
agents
usually follow imitative learning rules (it makes the analysis afterwards
easier), I've also modeled
them as using fictitious play.  There's no reason why more complex choice
processes couldn't
be modelled.  If you can describe it, you can model it.

From my point of view, the most natural point of contact between rational
choice theory and
ABMs is through evolutionary game theory.  Traditional models of rational
choice, i.e.,
von Neumann-Morgenstern game theory, lack a proper treatment of the dynamic
aspect of
choice.  Evolutionary game theory (at least the economic interpretations a la
Binmore, Samuelson,
and others) seeks to provide such a dynamic component, and usually assumes that
agents
are boundedly rational.  ABMs provide a framework for a detailed study of both
of
these elements.

As an aside: the problem mentioned with markets points out what, to my mind, is
a more interesting
problem for ABMs.  Namely, how does one smoothly incorporate, into a single
problem, problems
involving group action with problems involving individual action.  One could
always force upon the model
some way of having aggregative individual action lead to group action (if, say,
50%+1 of the group make
an individual choice to do X, then the group does X) but, in many cases, this
requires making
substantive assumptions as to the causal relations holding between individuals
and the group.
Ideally, one would like to frame very general rules of interaction which
allowed group action
to develop out of individual action.  This is a hard problem, though.

Cheers,

Jason

--
J. McKenzie Alexander
Co-ordinator, MSc in Philosophy of the Social Sciences

<<winmail.dat>>