Re: Looking at Swarm's ftp

From: Pietro Terna
Subject: Re: Looking at Swarm's ftp
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 01:39:14 +0200

        Great! Pietro

At 18.05 22/10/01 -0500, you wrote:
I'm going to propose we reorganize/clarify our ftp for applications. If
you look at the directory structure, it is like this
ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/apps/
     java
     objc
ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/users-contrib/
     eval
     anarchy

In anarchy, we have a mixture of apps and libraries in both java and
Obj-C.

I would like to gravitate toward a setup that separated the Obj-C  and
Java applications, and was like so:

apps
     java
          supported
          evaluated
          anarchy
     objc
          supported
          evaluated
          anarchy

Marcus got me permission on the ftp server to rearrange things, but I'm
not doing it yet until I wait for criticism/feedback of my proposal.

As a separate initiative, I want to make it easier to figure out what
these packages are. From here on out, all contributed programs should
include a text file with a name like "ProgramName.txt"  that at least
includes this information:

Author Name:
Author email:
Author http:
Title of Program:
Date:
Most Recent Swarm against which this runs:
Language in which program is written:
Abstract describing purpose of model:

I will provide a template, authors can fill in.

In the long run, our ftp archive will have tarballs accompanied by these
little text ProgramName.txt files, the same way you see ftp archives on
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/linux/utils/ have *.lsm files.

I may have to generate these .lsm files myself for some old
applications. I love sss and arborgames so much I'm delighted to do it.
Others, well, I don't know that I'm qualified, and the original authors
might receive some harrassment.

Now is the time for you to rip on me about this, otherwise I'm going to
start doing it.