Re: Choice of model language

From: Konrad_Richter
Subject: Re: Choice of model language
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 01:04:19 +0200

Hi Chris,
sorry for the late reply, but I got your message only now. SOmeproblem with
the Swarm server, I suppose. Two years ago I had the same choice to make
than you. I decided to try Objective C and I haven´t regretted it so far.
The language might be a bit complicated in the beginning (esp. if you have
no experience with object oriented programming), but I recommend the
Objective C tutorial by NeXt and the Swarm tutorial by Lars-Eric Cedermann
and Benedikt Stefansson. With these two documents I was able to teach
myself programming in Swarm. Both can be downloaded from the SWARM.org
homepage, but if you have troubles in finding the documents, just let me
know and I will send them to you.
Btw, I still have lots of trouble with memory leaks in Objective C, but I
don´t know if they are easier to deal with in Java.

Greetings,
     Konrad

                     "Methot,

                     Chris"                To:     "'address@hidden'"
                     <Chris.Methot@        <address@hidden>
                     compaq.com>           cc:     (bcc: Konrad
Richter/VIE/Europe/MCKINSEY)
                     Sent by:              Subject:     Choice of model
language
                     owner-swarm-mo

                     address@hidden

                     e.edu

                     04.09.2001

                     21:20

                     Please respond

                     swarm-modellin

Hi (2 questions below)

I am trying to decide on Objective-C or Java.  I have no predilections
toward either and no C experience (which may imply a direction in itself).
Perhaps there are those that feel the tighter restrictions of Java are more
suited to beginners.

I tried to do due diligence and search the ftp://ftp.swarm.org/ support and
model archives but the ftp server has not been reliable from here lately.

The only thing I subjectively noticed between them is that the interpreted
Java example models seem to run slower than the Objective-C.  Both use
every
spare cycle of my CPU but I have the feeling that the C programs are doing
more.  Now I have been doing performance work for 20 years so I know this
subjective conclusion is fraught with errors but I do believe it is a safe
conclusion based on what I have seen of interpreted code.

Here are my 2 questions:
1. If compiled OOP-C is more efficient than interpreted Java can the Java
models be turned into a native executable like C?

2. Is Java a better bet for a beginner who used Fortran and Basic many
years
ago?
     I am more likely to run into people who know C than Java (which is
still primarily a web tool).

Chris Methot

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.