Animating sequences of still images

From: Jason Alexander
Subject: Animating sequences of still images
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 18:19:30 -0700

I apologize if this is off-topic, but I thought that someone on this
list must have grappled with this question before.

I need to stitch together a sequence of images (under linux) into an
animation.  Although "mpeg" works just fine for local use, since I don't
care what format I use, I also need to be able to make AVI or QuickTime
files.  (These are the only two file types for embedding animations
inside PDF files.)

I found an ancient program on the web called "mkavi" which I've tried.
It works well enough, in that the avi files it creates can be embedded
in PDF files, but some versions of the Windows Media Player complain
about an invalid file type, and won't independently play the avi. (Even
though it plays fine *within* Adobe Reader.)

Does anyone know of alternative techniques for creating AVI or QuickTime
files on a linux box?

Cheers,

Jason

--
Jason Alexander                        address@hidden
Department of Philosophy               858-822-4910 (office)