Re: advise please

From: Andrew Sherlock
Subject: Re: advise please
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:46:50 +0000

> I am interested in applying swarm technology to both control
> system tuning/optimisation and fault diagnosis. Has anyone
> encountered any similar research in this field?
>
> regards

Hi,

Here in Edinburgh we have been using Swarm on a few
recent projects involving optimization/control in manufacturing
and Mechanical engineering.

One involves the use of agents for warehouse management.
This involves using agents in Swarm both to do a discrete-event
simulation of the warehouse and to follow simple rules to
control/optimize pallet positions and picking order etc..

The second project uses a cellular shape representation for
structural shape optimization. Each cell is implemented as
a Swarm agent and responds to stress, position and the states of
nearby cells in order to 'optimise'  the component shape.

The third project looked at using an agent-based approach to
feature-based design. Basically each manufacturing feature of a
design is an agent responsible for ensuring its own
manufacturability. It can negociate with other conflicting
feature-agents to  change its position and/or geometry in order to
achieve this.

We are interested in starting some projects here using Swarm to look
at dynamic simulation and control/optimization of manufacturing
systems. We are at an early stage of developing ideas for this.

You might be interested in work being undertaken at KU Leuven in the
Division of Production Engineering, Machine Design & Automation :

http://www.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/pma/project/mascada/welcome.html

They are not using Swarm but use a cooperative multi-agent approach to
shop-floor control and scheduling etc.. They call it 'Holonic
Manufacturing'.

Hope this is helpful,
Andy

Andrew Sherlock

Lecturer in Manufacturing and Management
Manufacturing Planning Group
School of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Edinburgh
King's Buildings