Re: Need to talk with somebody who has dug through Breeder libraryand/o

From: Pietro Terna
Subject: Re: Need to talk with somebody who has dug through Breeder libraryand/or GW library
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 00:48:26 +0200

At 18.03 29/03/00 -0600, you wrote:
Pietro Terna wrote:

>          Dear Paul,
>
>          try to have a look also to
> ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/users-contrib/anarchy/GM-0.1.tar.gz
>
>          Yours, Pietro

Yes, I have looked at that code. It is very nicely written and clear.  I
guess I don't understand why the author proposes it, instead of building
on Breeder.  Is there something about Breeder that makes it a less
capable structure for working on this?  I also wonder if the GM package
might still be currently under development?

The author, Gialuigi Ferraris, was a student of mine. To prepare his master degree dissertation, he had to develop a Swarm package on Classifier Systems (the CW program that you can find in the Swarm anarchy directory).

        As a by-product of his work, he obtained also the GM package.

Why to re-writer GA? Mainly to adopt a unified style of programming, currently used in my group: both CW and GM adopt the ERA scheme that I've introduced in Chapter 3 of the Luna&Stefansson book about simulation and Swarm.

Finally, those packages are still under development, to introduce more options and to unify them.

        Pietro