Re: Need to talk with somebody who has dug through Breeder library and/

From: Pietro Terna
Subject: Re: Need to talk with somebody who has dug through Breeder library and/or GW library
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 23:59:29 +0200

        Dear Paul,

        try to have a look also to
ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/users-contrib/anarchy/GM-0.1.tar.gz

        Yours, Pietro

At 10.55 29/03/00 -0600, you wrote:
I have a few questions about using genetic algorithms in Swarm
programs.  I've been in a quandry for a long time about how to make
smarter agents, and I'm looking at using some combination of GAs and/or
NNs to get the job done.

What I don't understand very well in C is bit shifting and things like
that. I thought I could avoid it by using one of these libraries.  But
when I look at the Breeder library, and the example application IPD, I
can't understand how the Breeder library helps the IPD application, and
I don't see why all the bit shifting is done in the IPD code itself.

Do you know what I mean?

I suppose you have a right to answer that I should not be messing with
these things if I can't even understand that for myself.  But try to
give me a break...

Here is the other question about GAs.  I understand well how this works
if the agent attributes are all 0 and 1.  What do you do if an agent's
attribute is from a continuum, such as [0,1] or the like.  Are you just
supposed to "discretize" by breaking it up into little segments and
treat that attribute as if it were 000100000 or 0000010000 or some such
string?

If you have a sample program (other than IPD, that is) using Breeder,
I'd appreciate a chance to see it. I would guarantee your
confidentiality.

I could be persuaded to work with GW instead, if somebody outlined the
reasons why I would prefer it to Breeder.