Re: parallelism

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: parallelism
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 07:48:53 -0800

At 10:14 AM 3/28/00 +0200, you wrote:
Marcus:
> The goal of high-level parallelism for Swarm requires tools for
> quantitatively determining which sets of agents are
> logically/effectively independent and which are interdependent.

Um, wouldn't a [ActionGroup setDefaultOrder: Randomized] suffice
to tell the system which ones are mutually independent?

Not necessarily.  It certainly helps.  But, since by "Randomized",
we really mean "pseudo-Randomized", all you buy here is an interface
to another piece of code, namely, the random library.  You pay for
this by assuming trust in the random library (which I think Swarm
covers quite nicely due to Sven's effort).  In a parallel system,
your purchase would be different.  Rather than buying your
"dependence discovery" with trust in more software, you buy it
with repeatability.  If Swarm were implemented on a parallel system
(meaning that two or more things can actually happen at the same time),
you run into problems if you want to make a model run exactly the
same way it has in the past.  The up-side, of course, is that if
you get the phenomena you want to see over multiple runs, you can
be fairly certain that your concurrently specified actions don't
have a hidden dependency (because they actually have an implementation
level independence).  The down-side is that you can't control their
execution in a fascist way.

glen

--
glen e. p. ropella =><= The front line is everywhere. Hail Eris!
Home: http://forager.swarm.com/~gepr              (505) 424-0448