Re: parallelism

From: Laurence Clark
Subject: Re: parallelism
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:24:44 +0100

At 17:35 27/03/00 -0800, you wrote:
>The concurrency of the Activity library does help in this
>regard because it helps the modeler *think* concurrently, which
>would help in parallelization of a model.  (But, you have to
>realize that just because our interface claims concurrency, does
>not mean that we're claiming parallelism.  In fact, by telling
>two actions to run concurrently, you're only saying that they
>aren't dependent on each other....you're not actually specifying
>how their sequentiality.... only their dependency.)

In which case, how would you distinguish between
concurrency and parallelism?  Is concurrent programming
when only PART of the code is specified to be executed in
parallel (i.e. a concurrent schedule)?

Also, when a randomised, concurrent schedule is executed on one
machine using the present version of Swarm, what actually
happens?  Is the effect similar to the fork() function in
C?

Sorry for asking so many questions at once!