Re: Volume on economic simulations in Swarm

From: Tim Kohler
Subject: Re: Volume on economic simulations in Swarm
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:02:47 -0800

Hi everyone. Along the same lines,  I was told today by Oxford University
Press that my edited volume with George Gumerman entitled Dynamics in Human
and Primate Societies is now available. It is a joint publication by SFI and
OUP in SFI's Studies in the Sciences of Complexity series. Ordering
information is at
http://www.santafe.edu/sfi/publications/Bookinforev/kohnew.html. Only two
chapters in the volume use Swarm, but all engage agent-based modeling in some
way. Contents:

                         Putting Social Sciences Together Again: An
Introduction to the Volume
                         Timothy A. Kohler

                         Nonlinear and Synthetic Models for Primate Societies
                         Irenaeus J. A. te Boekhorst and Charlotte K.
Hemelrijk

                        The Evolution of Cooperation in an Ecological Context:
An Agent-Based
                        Model
                        John W. Pepper and Barbara B. Smuts

                        Evolution of Inference
                        Brian Skyrms

                        Trajectories to Complexity in Artificial Societies:
Rationality, Belief, and Emotions
                        Jim E. Doran

                        MAGICAL Computer Simulation of Mesolithic Foraging
                        Mark Winter Lake

                        Be There Then: A Modeling Approach to Settlement
Determinants and Spatial Efficiency Among Late
                        Ancestral Pueblo Populations of the Mesa Verde Region,
US Southwest
                        Timothy A. Kohler, James Kresl, Carla Van West, Eric
Carr, and Richard H. Wilshusen

                        Understanding Anasazi Culture Change Through
Agent-Based Modeling
                        Jeffrey S. Dean, George J. Gumerman, Joshua M.
Epstein, Robert Axtell, Alan C. Swedlund, Miles T.
                        Parker, and Steven McCarroll

                        Anti-Chaos, Common Property, and the Emergence of
Cooperation
                        J. Stephen Lansing

                        The Political Impact of Marriage in a Virtual
Polynesian Society
                        Cathy A. Small

                        The Impact of Raiding on Settlement Patterns in the
Northern Valley of Oaxaca: An Approach Using
                        Decision Trees
                        Robert G. Reynolds

                        The Fractal House of Pharaoh: Ancient Egypt as a
Complex Adaptive System
                        Mark Lehner

                        Modeling Sociality: The View from Europe
                        Nigel Gilbert

                        Concluding Statement
                        Henry Wright

I hope this community finds these materials useful.

Best wishes, TK

Benedikt Stefansson wrote:

> The code for all the models published in this volume should
> be available at the SDG website (http://www.swarm.org) in a
> few weeks.
>
> Please feel free to distribute this announcement to
> interested parties.
>
> =====
>
> We are pleased to announce that Kluwer Academic Publisher
> has published the first book on modeling with the Swarm tool
> kit titled:
>
> Economic Simulations in Swarm: Agent Based Modelling and
> Object Oriented Programming
>
> edited by
> Francesco Luna
> Università di Venezia Ca'Foscari, Italy, and Oberlin
> College, OH, USA
>
> Benedikt Stefansson
> University of California, Los Angeles and CASA Inc, NM USA
>
> With contributions by A. Perrone, P. Terna, C. Bruun, L.
> Mittone, P. Patelli, M.D. Sapienza, T.E. Jares, M. Corazza,
> F. Lin, C. Schlueter-Langdon, the editors and others.
>
> The book contains 10 models developed using the Swarm APIs,
> in addition to a 50 pp tutorial for beginners in
> Object-Oriented Simulation and Swarm.
>
> Please refer to http://www.wkap.nl/bookcc.htm/0-7923-8665-5
> for a short index.
>
> ========

Professor & Chair, Department of Anthropology, WSU, Pullman, WA
99164-4910 USA   Office (509) 335-2698    fax (509) 335-3999
External Faculty Member, Santa Fe Institute, Santa Fe, NM