Re: Psychology modeling refs

From: Dr. Miguel Villanueva
Subject: Re: Psychology modeling refs
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 12:37:34 -0600

I am looking for references to simulations of agent-based models of
psychological systems (the 'agent' can be a person, a synapse, or anything
inbetween).

I have seen the Nowak & Latane models of Dynamic Social Influence, and I
have heard vague references to models of cognitive psychological processes,
but I have not been able to track down anything specific.  My area of
interest is cognitive and/or social processes, but work in other areas
would be useful as well.

Any references, names, etc that anyone could suggest would be very helpful.
If you want to e-mail me directly <address@hidden> I will share
what I learn with anyone who lets me know that they're interested.

Actually, Dawn I am very interested in this myself. Seems to me that this area is ripe for exploration. Would you be so kind as to send me information of the Nowak & Latane models of Dynamic Social Influence?

My primary area of interest is *learning how* to model the effects of trauma (in my case, PTSD) on closed social systems (Indian reservations/ Indian tribes). We (clinical and psychiatric communities) have a hunch, and the literature is beginning to bear this out, that trauma crosses time -- called inter-generational trauma by most psychologists (here in Indian Country we call it the "Soul Wound") but the actual mechanisms of transmission, and the especially the effects such cross generational stuff has on social systems is, ahhhh well, that is the mystery.

Can you imagine if we could effectively model such a psychological / social dynamic like this? Seems we might be able to develop community based clinical interventions (and prevention) rooted in theory. Now that would be way cool.

Let me know what stuff you have. Unfortunately, I do not yet have much accumulated upstairs with which to reciprocate. What I do have, I'll send on to you ASAP.
mv

Miguel Villanueva, PhD
Clinical Psychologist
Adjunct, Department Psychology