Refs to comparisons of ABM and equation based models?

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Refs to comparisons of ABM and equation based models?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:06:08 -0400 (EDT)

I am looking for references to papers, books, etc, that
compare the ABM/IBM (agent-based modeling, or individual based modeling)
approach to equation based approaches.
General articles are fine, eg, the kind of comments one finds
at the start
   Epstein and Axtell, Growing Artificial Societies
or in
  Deangelis, D., & Gross, L. (Eds.). (1992). Individual-Based Models and
  Approaches in Ecology: Populations, Communities and Ecosystems.

  Judson, Olivia. (1994). The rise of individual-based modeling in ecology.
  Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 9(1), pp9-14.
but I'm also interested in explicit comparisions for particular
applications as in, e.g.:

Wilson, W. (1998). Resolving discrepancies between deterministic
population models and individual-based simulations. American Naturalist,
151(2), 116-134.

Parunak, H., Savit, R., & Riolo, R. (1998). Agent-based modeling vs.
equation-based modeling: A case study and users' guide. Paper presented at
the First International Workshop on Multi-Agent Systems and Agent-Based
Simulation, Paris, France.

If people want to just post to me privately, I will repost
what I get (and put it on the web).

Thanks!
 - r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Center for Study of Complex Systems (CSCS)
4477 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html