Re: Combat Model in Swarm

From: Steve LaMotte
Subject: Re: Combat Model in Swarm
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 08:50:06 MST7MDT

Hi Rob,

I work for the Physical Science Laboratory, New Mexico State
University.  I've worked on the CASTFOREM model off and on for the
last 14 years.  From 1983 - 85 I was on the CASTFOREM team at
TRAC-WSMR.  The bulk of my experience has been in assisting the Army
Research Laboratory at WSMR in simply executing the CASTFOREM
"canned" scenarios that come from TRAC, and also in developing and
integrating higher resolution atmospheric models into CASTFOREM.
The official version of CASTFOREM currently plays a non-changing,
homogenous atmos environment.

We do have access to CASTFOREM code, but have signed an MOA with
TRAC-WSMR and ARL to agree to hang on to the code and not release it.
I talked today to the TRAC-WSMR people.  CASTFOREM code is not easy
to acquire and the scenarios are even more difficult.  If you are
from a govt house, it makes it a lot easier.  There is also a price
tag on the code and scenarios.  In your case, it almost sounds like
the source code may be all you need.  The POC at TRAC-WSMR is Doug
Mackey (505)678-4715.  He is CASTFOREM's chief programmer.  It may be
best for you to contact Doug and discuss how you can get access to
the code or even if it's possible to just get your hands on the
CASTFOREM Methodologies Guide.

We are also working with Swarm here at PSL.  We are currently setting
up a Swarm model of an Information Warfare system where agents are
trying to break/hack into a computer network.  Your project is of
personal interest to me and I would like to keep track of it if
possible.  I would also like to help you with CASTFOREM in the future
if this is possible.

Please contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Steve LaMotte
Branch Manager
Modeling and Simulation