summer-of-code

Re: New GNU project for GSOC 2012: combining Org and Picolisp

From: Thorsten
Subject: Re: New GNU project for GSOC 2012: combining Org and Picolisp
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 23:34:53 +0100

Noah Lavine <address@hidden> writes:

Hello,

> I took a quick look at the PicoLisp website, and I believe the reason
> is that PicoLisp has database queries integrated very closely with the
> language, which is nice for web applications.

True, and there is almost no glue code involved since the UI elements
act directly on the DB objects.

> However, I don't find this a compelling reason at all, since I would
> guess anything that's done in PicoLisp could be easily implemented in
> any other Lisp or Scheme. PicoLisp also advertises being small, but it
> doesn't advertise that it will inevitably either grow, as it adds more
> features, or disappoint users who want more features.

What would be the advantage of reimplementing something that is already
implemented in a very smart way in PicoLisp?
And PicoLisp programs look different from e.g. elisp programs in that
almost everything is done with the few basic but powerfull abstractions.
Growing the language on top of these abstractions is not so common in
PicoLisp, you don't find that-really-really-long-function-names in
PicoLisp code.

> It seems like the most natural choice for an Org-mode-based website is
> Emacs Lisp running in Emacs, because anyone who uses Org-mode has
> Emacs around anyway. Guile is the next most natural, because 1) it's
> another GNU project, 2) it has a web server built in, and 3) it
> implements Emacs Lisp itself, so you could use Guile's ELisp
> implementation with Guile's webserver and get a nice Org-mode-site
> backend. (And of course there are plans to use Guile in Emacs, which
> also makes Guile more interesting.)
>
> But there's another consideration here, which is, what does the
> student want to do? After all, if they're not interested, this can't
> happen.

In this case the student would like to work with PicoLisp. Its an Org
Babel language, free and open source, with a very friendly community,
and its a fascinating and production ready application framework
already.

--
cheers,
Thorsten