streamtuner-misc

Re: columns + firefox

From: Jean-Yves Lefort
Subject: Re: columns + firefox
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 18:21:10 +0100

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 23:16:45 -0700
jeff <address@hidden> wrote:

> The streamtuner default columns are a bit cluttered, especially
> to new users who don't know how to slide the column width. I
> see two issues:
> 1) There are too many default columns enabled
> 2) The column widths are too narrow
>
> Attached is a small patch for #1. It turns off How many
> Listeners and Max Listeners, and Genre. Genre is turned off
> because that's basically what you are selecting in the left
> hand side and description/now-playing are a better indicator.
> Also "broadcaster" is turned off for one plugin as it just
> takes space and doesn't convey much.

Agreed. I will disable some columns in 1.0.

> I don't know how to fix the column widths. It defaults to making
> "Now Playing" etc really small and the bitrate really big.
> Anyway could this be make a bit easier out-of-the-box?

This problem bothers me too, and it should be fixed for 1.0.

I will think about a solution, such as adding a "column width advice"
property to STHandlerField, or playing with
gtk_tree_view_columns_autosize().

> Also, I think firefox should be the default web browser instead
> of the rarer epiphany, but that's just MHO... Attached is a
> patchlet for that too.

Popularity does not matter, Epiphany is the default GNOME web browser
(and an excellent program as well).

> On another note I've seen some errors when getting the xiph
> lists on fresh installs:
> streamtuner: Xiph: XML document: unrecoverable error: internal
> error
> streamtuner: Xiph: XML document: unrecoverable error: Extra
> content at the end of the document
>
> I don't know if it was a transient error or not, but I could
> reproduce it a number of times tonight by deleting
> ~/.streamtuner

I can reproduce the issue. If it isn't transient, I will fix it.

> Thanks for such a cool program. Many BLAG users say it's their
> favorite killer-app. :)

Thanks for your support. :)

Jean-Yves Lefort

--