Speech-dispatcher dropping audio after switch to optical out

From: Nolan Darilek
Subject: Speech-dispatcher dropping audio after switch to optical out
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 11:37:05 -0500

Hey folks,

My soundbar includes an optical out, to which I switched in hopes of enabling 5.1 surround. Unfortunately, after having done so, speech-dispatcher appears to be dropping audio at the beginning of every utterance.

As an example, I have Orca set to echo by word only. I hear "xample", "rca", "ord only", etc. when typing this.

If I open the sound device by, say, playing an MP3, everything is fine. I just started a track on reduced volume so I could type this last paragraph and proof my email.

What parameters can I tweak to fix this? In looking at the config, I see a PulseAudio min length, along with bunches of knobs in espeak-ng (the module I'm using.) I'd appreciate guidance on which to tweak so I'm not here all day. :)

Also, how should I test a new value? What's the easiest way to restart speech-dispatcher from my user session? Can I just pkill it after tweaking the config and have it come back, or is it more involved?

Thanks for any help.