Setting the DefaultVoice for a voice without a conf file

From: Didier Spaier
Subject: Setting the DefaultVoice for a voice without a conf file
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 22:30:26 +0100

Hello,

On 29/11/2018 23:50, Didier Spaier wrote:
> But I forgot to install the shared lib, stupid me. Will take the time
> to package it cleanly, stay tuned.
Here are my findings

I built two RHVoice packages: version 0.7.1, and pulled from git master.

No issue to build the first one, however I could get a voice list
neither from "spd-say -o rhvoices -L" nor in the Orca preferences GUI
Person drop down control.

Trying to build from git master gave me this output:
src/sd_module/list_voices.cpp:29:31: error: operator '==' has no left operand
#if ((LIBSPEECHD_MAJOR_VERSION==0) && (LIBSPEECHD_MINOR_VERSION<9))

This made me look at list_voices.cpp. I am not acquainted with the C++
syntax, however I know that a tabulation, not a space, should separate
the fields in the voices list.

This is fixed with the appended patch, applied from the root of the
source archive, like this:
patch -p0 --verbose <$startdir/set_separator_to_tab_in_voices_list.diff

Now I get the voices list, both in spd-say and in Orca (pic attached for
Orca):
didier[~]$ spd-say -o rhvoice -L
                     NAME                 LANGUAGE                  VARIANT
                     Alan                       en                     none
                Aleksandr                       ru                     none
           Aleksandr+Alan                       ru                     none
                   Anatol                       uk                     none
                     Anna                       ru                     none
                   Azamat                       ky                     none
                      Bdl                       en                     none
                      Clb                       en                     none
                    Elena                       ru                     none
                Elena+Clb                       ru                     none
                    Irina                       ru                     none
                  Natalia                       uk                     none
                    Natia                       ka                     none
                   Nazgul                       ky                     none
                      Slt                       en                     none
                 Spomenka                       eo                     none
                   Talgat                       tt                     none
didier[~]$

Well, as far as I can judge these voices sound rather natural.

@ Storm: RHVoice does not associate a symbolic voice like MALE2 to
synthesis voices at all. But now you know how select the one you want ;)

As an aside, it is fortunate that we can choose the synthesis voice
directly, as even if usually Orca sets the language from LANG or
LC_MESSAGES, this doesn't work with Esperanto because it lacks a locale
definition in glibc (locale -a|grep eo gives nothing) and another
locale is not competely defined (ky or tt, I am not sure which one now).

@Olga: I consider providing a RHVoice package for Slint, but am unsure
which voices I should put in it as I see in voices/README that:

1. The Tatar voice can only be used non-commercially.
2. The Georgian voice can only be used by individuals for personal use.

If I have to remove these files from the package, is it enough to
remove the subdirs Esperanto, Georgian, Natia and Spomenka from the
source tree or should I also edit some build files (I hope not as I know
nothing about scons).

Or can I keep that in the package and just ship the README?

Similarly, should I build the package without MAGE?

On the other hand, a complete package is rather heavy (no less than 250M
uncompressed) so I wouldn't mind stripping it down a bit ;)

Best,

Didier