Questions about Speechd.el

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Questions about Speechd.el
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 11:54:54 +1000

The speechd.el interface is very much a minimal, keep it simple speech
interface for emacs, especially compared to alternatives like emacspeak,
which provides a lot more features, but at the cost of being more
'invasive' with respect to the normal operation of emacs and implementing a
specific philosophy. Both are good, but with different objectives.

Speechd relies heavily on the emacs advice facility. Basically, it wraps
certain commands and sends the text, or the main text, involved in a
command to the synthesis engine. While there are some limitations to just
doing this, especially for lower level emacs commands which are implemented
in C code, it generally provides a pretty good result. However, it does
mean that the base package has some limitations. One of these limitations
is that in general, if you want to add meta information i.e. additional
information not natively part of the command being advised, you need to
implement that yourself.

With respect to your first question, I don't think speechd can do this. You
would need to implement this yourself. You would need to decide what
information you would want spoken when you do a search-replace i.e.
position in document, surrounding text etc. You might find that an
additional package, such as swiper, works with speechd and may provide some
of what you want (I don't know - it may not work with speechd at all!).

With respect to your second question, that sounds like a bug, but I'm not
sure. It could just be due to how some modes change basic behaviour. For
example, some modes, like paredit, change the function which deals with
deleted characters and by default, speechd doesn't advise those functions
to speak what action takes place.

My suggestion would be to find our what function is called when you delete
a character and then look at the speechd.el sources to see if there is a
function which advises that function to add speeck. If not, then add one.

Speechd.el is very much a base system you will need to build on. If you
want something more complete, emacspeak may be a better solution. If you
want something which you can use to create the envrionment you want, then
speechd is ideal, but you will need to do the work to get the features you
want.

Tim