Output to file?

From: Kyle
Subject: Output to file?
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 19:25:53 -0500

I'm not aware of any way to make speech-dispatcher output to a file.
You'll probably need to use the speech synthesizer directly, for example:

espeak -w /dev/stdout -f <textfile> | lame -b 64 - <mp3file>

I think there is a graphical tool that can do this with Espeak as well,
but I can't think of what it's called.

On a partially related note, depending on the player used to play back
the text file, it may be more practical to use opus files rather than
mp3. If the player is equipped with Rockbox, it will play opus files.
The advantage is that the file can be encoded at 12 Kbps with a
framesize of 60 ms, and will sound nearly as good as the 64 Kbps mp3
file. This will only work on audio players equipped with Rockbox, but I
figured I'd mention it here, as it works perfectly for my similar uses.
Hope this helps.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--