jack audio backend

From: Rui Batista
Subject: jack audio backend
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 01:13:15 +0100

Hi
Por volta de 14-06-2011 00:38, consta que Luke Yelavich escreveu:
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 03:31:26AM EST, Rui Batista wrote:
>> I've writen some code but for now it isn't working yet, I'm on the way
>> to debug it.
>> Questions:
>> 1. Is anyone interessted on contributing to this backend?
>> 2. Are there any problems  that I'm not aware regarding interfacing with
>> jack? I don't think so but...
> The first thing that comes to mind is differing sample rates. Most software
> speech synths that I know of, if not all of them, generally don't output
> anything higher than 22050Hz. They may be configurable to output at 44100Hz
> or higher, but I suspect most do not support this. In fact, I think some only
> support output at 11025Hz.

That's a good concern. I found that some softsynths (I.G. Fluidsynth)
use libsamplerate to resample the audio in rrealtime. I've already
implemented some code with that library but didn't test it yet. I supose
the requirements for speed and such are almost the same so if they use
it successfully that is not a big problem... But will see =).

> In addition to sample rate concerns, I also wonder whether the low latencies
> required for jack use with other audio apps and speech-dispatcher may cause
> speech stuttering/buffering issues, as speech synths may not be designed to
> be run at such low buffer sizes and latencies.

That's a valid question. Any idea where to check it without burning my
head while debugging?