jack audio backend

From: Luke Yelavich
Subject: jack audio backend
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 09:38:06 +1000

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 03:31:26AM EST, Rui Batista wrote:
> I've writen some code but for now it isn't working yet, I'm on the way
> to debug it.
> Questions:
> 1. Is anyone interessted on contributing to this backend?
> 2. Are there any problems  that I'm not aware regarding interfacing with
> jack? I don't think so but...

The first thing that comes to mind is differing sample rates. Most software
speech synths that I know of, if not all of them, generally don't output
anything higher than 22050Hz. They may be configurable to output at 44100Hz or
higher, but I suspect most do not support this. In fact, I think some only
support output at 11025Hz.

In addition to sample rate concerns, I also wonder whether the low latencies
required for jack use with other audio apps and speech-dispatcher may cause
speech stuttering/buffering issues, as speech synths may not be designed to be
run at such low buffer sizes and latencies.

Luke